Narrows Race Team
"Two boats on the water is a race"
Our goal is to be in the lead. Narrows Race Team is about the little things that make a big difference.
This is what we are all about and what we encourage all our team members to achieve.
Narrows Race Team is a joint team of GHYC Junior Sail and Tacoma Yacht Club Junior Sail.
We offers the opportunity for both young men and women, regardless of athletic ability, to compete head-to-head in Northwest area sailing regattas.
Interested sailors in any school program in our area, including home school, are welcome to try-out for our team.
Age: High school grades 8th - 12thThe race team practices M, W & F 5:00-8:30 PM, (rigging starts at 4:30pm).
Racing in the summer includes both single- and double-handed dinghy racing in a variety of boats.
- Season: June - August.
- Practice: Held at the Tacoma Yacht Club Wollochet Bay Outpost
- (3418 White Cloud Ave NW Gig Harbor)
- The Narrows Race Team participates in the Northwest Youth Racing Circuit (NWYRC). The NWYRC is dedicated to providing youth with the opportunity to compete against junior sailors from other local programs. Sailors ages 8-19 who live in Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia are encouraged to participate. There are seven regattas which make up the Summer Series. These regattas are designed to provide a positive introductory regatta experience for novice racers and friendly competition for our region's most competitive racers. For more information of if you have any questions
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Register for Summer Race Team
To be on the Race Team you need the following:
- Intermediate or Advanced Sailing skills
- Must be able to swim 50 yds
- Appropriate clothing (you will get wet)
As part of your training you will receive the following:
- Professional coaching to improve racing skills
- Attendance and professional coaching at regattas
- Camaraderie of a close-knit group of fellow sailors
- Support from a dedicated group of volunteers
- Use of boats and facilities at GHYC Junior Sail
Narrows Race TeamThe race team practices M, W & F 4-6:30 PM at West Shore Marina in Gig Harbor sailing FJs , a double-handed racing dinghy. We are a member of the Northwest Interscholastic Sailing Association (NWISA). Participation is open to youth in grades 8-12 who are enrolled in a local school or home school program.
GHYC Junior Sailing has been so great for me. I first learned to sail in 2009 and began racing with GHYC as soon as the team began. Since then, I have also taught at sail camps and helped coach the race team. I am currently a sophomore at University of Washington trying to find as much time as possible to get on the water with the Husky Sailing Team. ... Bekah A